Milady's book provides good and practical ideas for promoting your salon and creating an appealing image.
Being in the beauty business, salon owners already know the value of building a positive image for their clients. When launching a public relations campaign, you are doing the same thing for yourself and your salon, explains Jayne Morehouse, author of Milady/SalonOvations’ Public Relations for the Salon. A thorough and practical guide to salon PR, the book will help you hone your salon’s image, plan a PR program, and establish press contacts locally and across the country. Whether you’re targeting print, radio, or television, some basic guidelines apply.
- Have a story to tell before you contact any editor, writer or producer
- Read several issues of a publication or view a program before contacting them. Be familiar with what they are looking for, and who their audience is.
- Make it known that you are always available to provide information and answer questions for an editor without expecting anything in return.
- Be aware of how far in advance editors are working.
- Make it easy for editors to contact you. Include complete contact information — name, address, telephone number; and fax number.