Shoppers seek special gifts that are just right for the recipient, but what they want most is to shop stores that are convenient and make their gift-shopping experience quick and painless.
“Convenience is gift shoppers’ top priority this year,” says Pam Danzinger, president of Unity Marketing and author of Way People Buy things They Don’t Need (Paramount Market Publishing, 2002). “Shoppers seek special gifts that are just right for the recipient, but what they want most is to shop stores that are convenient and make their gift-shopping experience quick and painless.”
Danzinger shares these strategies for retailers to increase holiday gift sales.
- Gift-givers seek gifts that show they know the recipient. Give shoppers a way to customize gifts or add a special touch just for the recipient.
- Compile a list of the top gift ideas for specific relations (i.e. Spouse, child, coworker) and price points (i.e. $25 and under: $262-$50: $51-%100: $100+) and post it prominently at the front counter, the cash registers, and on the window.
- Gift certificates should be appealing to give and to receive. Avoid generic certificates in favor of ones that connect emotionally.
- Gift shopping doesn’t take place only in the last two months of the year. Heavy gift buyers, in particular, are always out and about, grazing for new ideas. The buy and stash away gift all year long, so make gifting and gift shopping a key retail focus throughout the year.
- Gift shoppers value the personal touch. Provide knowledge, well-trained sales help to guide them.
- To help gift-buyers find the right, prepare your staff with a list of open-ended questions that will help shoppers discover the perfect gift. Make sure staff knows the stock and can intelligently interview shoppers.
- Keep up with consumer passions and preferences in key product categories. Get rid of last year’s merchandise if it’s still hanging around, so when the holiday rush hits, shoppers won’t see your business looking tired.
- To maximize sales gifts, make sure you offer expert-quality gift wrap services with a number of gift wrap option. And make sure your business’s name included somewhere in the gift package - either on the box, complimentary gift card, or gift receipt.