In my last article, we discussed the benefits of introducing a guest speaker to your class. We learned that it can be very enriching and educational for both instructors and students, but do you know how to get the most out of having a guest speaker in your class?
Consider these five points to ensure your students benefit from a guest lecturer in the classroom.
1. Communicate learning goals and objectives to the speaker in advance. Speakes should be aware of the lessons you are teaching before they show up to your classroom. Send them an outline, synopsis, syllabus, or lesson plan of what your class is studying so they can be better prepared and plan to connect their lecture with your lesson.
2. Check your speakers’ credentials. Don’t just rely on word of mouth, research speakers before you invite them to your class. Google them, check their website, social media sites etc., to make sure theycan indeed add value to your students' education.
3. Prepare your students for the speaker. Provide your students with background information about the speaker beforehand. Encourage them to research him or her, and to come to class prepared to ask questions. Additionally, set aside time for class discussion with the speaker, as it will allow them to connect in a more meaningful way.
4. Link your speaker to topics specific to what your students are learning. If your students are learning about acrylic nail application, they’re not going to get much out a talk from a pedicurist. Match your speaker specifically with whatever lesson you are teaching.
5. Follow up with your class. Debrief your students after the speaker has departed, and have a follow up discussion or assign homework to help drive the speaker's points home. Also, if possible, video-record the speaker and make it available to all students for further learning or future reference.
Tiffani Douglas is a licensed nail technician, speaker, and beauty marketing professional with more than 20 years experience in the beauty industry. She is also the author of Straight Outta Beauty School – 10 Things You Need to Know and Do After Graduation.
You Might also Like: Why You Should Bring Guest speakers to Your Classroom