You’ll be pleased to know some pretty famous folks once wielded a nail file for a living. Take our quiz and see if you can identify these eight well-known figures who worked as manicurists before claiming their spot in the limelight. You find the answers at the bottom of the page.
1. This sharp-tongued actress, comedian, and one-time Madonna pal started out as a Beverly Hills manicurist by day and a stand-up comic by night. She’s had several one-woman shows, both on and off Broadway.
2. This diminutive, gray-haired, TV commercial pitchwoman of the 1980s popularized the catchphrase “Where’s the beef?” Can’t remember her name? We’ll give you credit if you remember the restaurant chain she’s associated with.
3. Infamous rather than famous, this Virginia-based manicurist came to the public’s attention in 1993 after she used a kitchen knife to separate her husband from, um, a certain portion of his anatomy.
4. This Oscar-winning film and television actress was the first wife of a U.S. President.
5. An aerobatic pilot, skydiver, and air show performer, she was the first Black woman ever to fly an airplane and the first African-American to earn an international pilot’s license.
6. This professional boxer holds multiple world titles, but is still not as famous as her dad. Most recently, she was seen shaking it on “Dancing With the Stars.”
7. This legendary actress of the 1920s and’30s once worked as a manicurist in her native Stockholm.
8. An American folklorist and author during the time of the Harlem Renaissance, she is best known for her novel Their Eyes Were Watching God.
Answers: 1. Sandra Bernhard 2. Clara Peller (Wendy’s) 3. Lorena Bobbitt 4. Jane Wyman 5. Bessie Coleman 6. Laila Ali 7. Greta Garbo 8. Zora Neale Hurston