To make these easy designs even easier for you, these nail artists have generously provided step-by-step video tutorials. Watch the videos at www.nailsmag.com/nailstv. (And that goes for the difficult designs too!)
Easy Design #7: Paper Hands
Try making different variations of this design by Lina Nyberg by using different colors of papers and cutting out different shapes. If you’re familiar with wraps, then this design will be super simple for you.
1. Cut hand shapes out of blue, pink, and yellow tissue paper. Apply nail glue to the nail. Place the blue hand on top of the glue, then use a manicure stick to smooth it into place.
2. Apply nail glue on top of the blue hand where you want the next hand to go, then place the pink hand on top of the nail, partially overlapping the blue (to create a purple shade) and smooth into place with a manicure stick.
3. Apply nail glue on top of the blue hand where you want the last hand to go, then place the yellow hand on top of the nail, partially overlapping the blue (to create a green shade) and smooth into place with a manicure stick. Cut off the excess tissue paper with manicure scissors. Apply a nail wrap on top of the entire nail, trimming to fit as needed. Seal with resin. File and buff.
Watch the video at www.nailsmag.com/video/paperhands.
Easy Design #8: Swirled Elegance
Essentialz of Beauty
Silvestro is an Akzéntz educator. Like other great designs for beginners, this design relies on creating simple swirls. They don’t have to be perfect, so just pull out a dotting tool and go for it. View more of Silvestro’s tutorials at www.gelessentialz.com.
1. Apply a layer of Akzéntz Luxio Gel in Noir. Cure.
2. Apply a thin layer of Odyssey Nail Systems One Gel Paint in Sterling. Don’t cure.
3. Use a dotting tool to create a swirl pattern. Cure.
Watch the video at www.nailsmag.com/video/swirledelegance.
Easy Design #9: Black Flower
Ocean View, Hawaii
If you’re new to handpainting, then this design by Christie Gibson is a good one to start with. Make sure your black acrylic paint isn’t too thick. If your paint is hard to maneuver, add some water to it to help it flow. Watch more of Gibson’s videos at www.christiesnails.com.
1. Apply UV gel-polish base coat to the nail. Cure. Apply green gel-polish to the nail. Cure. Apply a second coat of green gel-polish to the nail. Cure. Leave the sticky layer on the nail. Use a natural bristle brush to press green glitter into the corner of the nail. Press the glitter flat with your finger to create a smoother surface. Apply UV gel-polish top coat. Cure. Remove the sticky layer. Buff lightly.
2. Use a 20/0 liner brush and black acrylic craft paint to paint three black petals in one corner. Add a dot in the center.
3. Paint a wavy line coming from the petals.
4. Add another line crossing over the first. From here you can add more dots or keep it simple like this one. Apply gel-polish top coat. Cure. Remove the sticky layer.
Watch the video at nailsmag.com/video/blackflower.
Next page: 4 Difficult (But Worth It) Designs