The idea of these ticking lists — of things to accomplish before you “kick the bucket,” so to speak — are gaining popularity via blogs, ad campaigns, and other media outlets. We asked our readers to share their professional ones. (No offense to pros-and-cons lists, but we think bucket lists are much more fun!)
Bucket List of: La Sharn Newbill, My enHANDSments by La Sharn, Bolingbrook, Ill., and Elkridge, Md.
1. Own one bricks-and-mortar spa-salon.
2. Own one mobile spa.
3 To be an expert witness for nails in court.
4. Do five of my favorite celebrities’ manicures and/or pedicures.
5. Continue to assist those who aren’t able to get their nails done.
6. Own a small nail school for anyone in high school.
7. Continue to stand out from the next nail tech.
8. Continue to assist other nail techs who are struggling in the industry.
9. Compete internationally.
10. Patent a product.
Bucket List of: Jamika Whatley, Houston
1. Open my own nail bar.
2. Extend that nail bar to multiple locations.
3. Travel overseas to gather ideas from other nail salons that may be great in the States.
4. Develop my own nail lotions/scrubs/brand.
5. Give back to battered women’s shelters or senior citizens by doing their nails periodically.
6. Mentor others wanting to open a nail bar.
Bucket List of: NaStasha J. Cochran, Cleveland
1. Write a successful business plan.
2. Open ENJCE Nail Bar and ENJCE Nail Bar+.
3. Become a successful business woman.
4. Watch my kids graduate from college.
5. Host a charity fundraiser to provide hair and nail care to the developmentally disabled population.
6. Give back to my community.
7. Open a chain of ENJCE Nail and Hair Academies.
8. Enjoy educating the world about nail care and the fun of it all!
9. Retire and live like a queen.
10. Die smiling.
We heard from more than 30 nail techs and salon owners who shared their bucket lists with us. Though we couldn’t print them all here, we did note some interesting commonalities:
We declare a tie for the most common bucket list item: to open your own salon and to do editorial work (for celebrities, magazine photo shoots,and runway shows).
The celebrities you want to do nails for? Women with fierce style: Katy Perry, Pink, Ivy Queen, Lady Gaga.
Ten nail techs specifically mentioned wanting to do a NAILS Magazine cover before they die. (We’re flattered!)
Ten techs have a life goal of traveling the world for nails. Destinations abound from England to Russia to Japan.
When it comes to attending trade shows, the International Beauty Show (IBS) in Las Vegas is a life goal for more techs than any other show.
Either many of you loved nail school (or are committed to improving it — or both!) because 10 of you want to either become instructors or open your own schools.
An Awesome, Awesome Day [Starr Rooks Checks An Item Off Her Bucket List]