I object, your honor. Oh, the glory of having a moment of limelight in the courtroom — and all the better if it's not from the defendant's chair. The California state Board of Barbering and Cosmetology is currently looking for "expert witnesses," veteran beauty techs who will review case materials and investigative reports, prepare written opinions, and possibly testify at administrative hearings based on licensees who may have committed an act in an unprofessional, grossly negligent or incompetent manner.
To be considered for your expertise, you must possess these minimum qualifications:
1. A current and active license (manicurist, cosmetologist, esthetician, barber, electrologist);
2. The license must be in good standing (no prior disciplinary actions or convictions, no pending investigations, no outstanding administrative fines);
3. Ten years experience in the specific field of expertise;
4. A working knowledge of the board's laws, rules, and regulations;
5. Consistent, ongoing face-to-face client contact;
6. Strong persuasive writing skills with the ability to express ideas logically and critically;
7. Willingness to serve as an expert witness for two consecutive years.
Expert Witnesses are paid $35 per hour for case review and preparation of the expert opinion, and $35 per hour plus expenses when called to testify at an administrative hearing. Sound like it's your moment to shine? Visit www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/forms_pubs/ex_wit_applic.pdf for an application. Case closed.