I have an upcoming article on repairing broken salon equipment, and I got some good pointers from Medicool’s Steve Wallace on how to take care of your e-file so you’ll maximize the lifetime and limit repair costs.
- Manicure and pedicure files need to be run dry and kept dry at all times.
- After sanitizing the bits, liquid sanitizers need to be entirely cleaned off. Left on sanitizer, as well as other liquids, creams, and lotions, can rust and seize the motor.
- Excessive dust (whether nail, acrylic, or gel) can clog and seize the motor and drive train of the wand.
- To keep the wand clear of dust, compressed air should be used to blow dust out of all openings.
- An air compressor (120psi max) is best for clearing dust. A can of compressed air used for cleaning computer keyboards also works well on e-files.
Wallace recommends techs send their machine in once per year for maintenance, and to try to schedule it when you go on vacation so you are not without a machine.
This is an e-file that had the motor seize because it was clogged with too much dust.