While the economy is limping along — with many sectors shrinking and others just holding their own — one area is actually growing: retail health and wellness products.
According to the Natural Marketing Institute, retail sales of health and wellness products reached more than $112 billion in 2008, representing growth of 9% over 2007. And some sectors did better than that:
- Organic foods/beverages: $23.6 (up 18%)
- Vitamins, minerals, herbal and dietary supplements: $23.3 (up 7%)
- Natural foods/beverages: $14.6 (up 4%)
- Natural/organic personal care: $8.4 (up 7%)
- Natural/organic general merchandise: $2.0 (up 32%)
So whether you’re selecting products for your retail section or thinking up enticing options for your service menu, keep in mind consumers’ continuing appetite for all things natural and organic.