In the aftermath of the 7.0 earthquake that shook Haiti on January 12, the beauty industry is living up to its reputation of helping people feel better by organizing a variety of relief efforts. If you are still at a loss of what you can do to help, then take a look at these successful strategies from other salons around the country to think up an idea for your own salon.
- Orlando, Fla. salon Spa Touch is functioning as a Red Cross drop off point for non-perishables, first aid, toiletry supplies, blankets, and other donations.
- Blu Water Day Spa, Kensington, Md., is donating $15 from five specific services (which range from $65 to $110) to the Red Cross. The salon also held a “Help Haiti!” food and clothing drive that was so successful the salon extended it past the original one-day event.
- Abstract Nails & Wellness Studio, Carmel, Ind., added “Heart 2 Help” manicures and pedicures to its menu, from which half of the service price will be donated to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. The new services come with a heart-shaped candle and pedicure socks with a heart design, plus, for clients who make an additional donation to the fund, a heart-shaped card that will be placed on the salon’s wall. The salon is also selling T-shirts that read, “I’m willing to give the shirt off my back for Haiti” and “I have an Abstract Heart 2 Help Haiti, Do You?” All shirt proceeds will be donated to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund.
- New York City salon Nubian Child Massage & Spa is donating all tips and $5 on all services over $100 to Haiti for the rest of this year.
- Nail tech networking group Black Knights of the Nail Table has set up drop points at salons in several cities for its “Flip Flops, Shoes, and Socks to Haiti” drive. Cities include Chicago (Nailistas Studio Ltd.), Charlotte, N.C. (The Nail Cabaret and Relaxer Experts), Washington, D.C., and New Orleans.
- Manufacturer BB Couture has partnered with Overall Beauty to create Hands of Hope, a polish collection from which part of the proceeds will go to The Salvation Army’s Haiti Relief Efforts.
And, here are a few easy ways to make a contribution from the ease of your own cell phone or Internet connection:
- Text YELE to 501501 and a donation of $5 to the Yele Haiti foundation will appear on your next phone bill.
- Text “HAITI” to 90999 and a $10 donation to the Red Cross will appear on your next phone bill. You can also donate to the Red Cross online here: www.redcross.org.
- Click on the box at the top right of the Amazon.com home page to donate to Mercy Corps for Haiti relief.
Please help ease the suffering in Haiti by taking action. If you have other ideas, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
— NAILS Eds.
Shown: A donor at Blu Water Day Spa’s food and clothing drive places her donation in the bin of items to be sent to Haiti.
Shown: BB Couture’s Hands of Hope collection includes the colors Tortuga Island (lush green), Kyona Beach (baby blue), Bassin’s Blue (subtle turquoise), Labadie Beach, (delicate pink), Cape Haitian (pale violet), and Paradise (sandy beige).