Hi guys. Once a week, I’m going to answer a frequently asked question (FAQ) about NAILS Magazine. This way, I will have a place to refer other readers when they ask the same question and hopefully you’ll learn something useful in the process.
First up, I’m constantly getting e-mails about doing the nails for the cover of NAILS. (I probably get at least 10 requests per week.) So if you’re interested in being a NAILS Magazine cover tech, here are a few things you should know:
1. First and foremost, if you’re interested in doing the nails for a cover, you should e-mail me at Hannah.Lee@bobit.com. Include your name, city, state, and some information about yourself. I want to know how long you’ve been doing nails and what your specialties are. Do you have a website? A Facebook page? A Nail Art Gallery profile? Include all of those in this first e-mail. I’d like to know as much about you and your work as possible.
2. Make sure to include photos of your best work. They don’t have to be professional photos, but I should be able to see the nails clearly. And remember, if you’re asking to do a gel cover or a nail art cover, I will want to see examples of those specific styles. Some of the things I’m looking for in cover nails include crisp, perfect smile lines; thin, well-constructed acrylic or gel enhancements; perfect C-curves; creative nail styles (something we haven’t seen before); and perfect polish or color application.
3. We shoot all of our covers in the Los Angeles area. And unfortunately, we don’t pay for nail techs to come out and shoot, so if you’re going to be in the Los Angeles area on a specific date, let me know. Likewise, if you can be available any time, let me know that. (The only exception is our annual NAILS Cover Tech Contest, a photo competition in which we accept entries from all over the world, and the winning photo becomes the magazine’s January cover. That entry form is published annually in both our August and September issues so keep your eyes open for that.)
4. If you have a resume, you can include that. If you don’t, tell me a little about your industry involvement. Do you educate for a specific company? Do you attend trade shows and take continuing education classes? Let me know how you’re involved in the industry.
5. That’s it. I’ll add your name to a list of people who are interested and I’ll contact you if I have something that meets your qualifications and skills. It’s an honor to do the nails for our cover and we pride ourselves in working with the best nail techs. If we don’t contact you at first, don’t give up. As you learn new skills or have interesting ideas for cover looks, e-mail me. You never know when you might have exactly what we’re looking for.
Have a question for Ask an Editor? Leave it as a comment below or e-mail it to Hannah.Lee@bobit.com.