Veteran nail tech Michelle Sproat shares an excerpt from her new book-DVD set.
Michelle Sproat is a nail artist of many talents. The Kingsville, Ontario, Canada-based nail tech and dedicated OPI international guest artist of 20 years excels at everything from natural nail care to fabulous French enhancements and glamorous salon-style nails. In her newly released book and DVD set Inspirations: Designer Nail Collection, Sproat focuses mostly on stiletto-shaped designer nails. With nine step-by-steps in the book, plus an hour-long DVD with five designed nails (three techniques from the book, plus two bonus applications), the set will be a resource to any nail artist who aspires to a career like Sproat’s.
Sproat also includes photos of her nail art journey, including ones from her competition experiences and travels with OPI. Here’s an excerpt, which shows how to do the book’s cover nails, dubbed “Cameo Creations.”
1. Attach a custom extended nail form to the prepared natural nail.
2. Sculpt a camouflaged nail bed extension.
3. Sculpt a thin stiletto extension to the desired length.
4. Add a layer of accent color meeting the smile line and fade toward the tip.
5. Shape the nail and smooth the surface. Optional: Use a gel sealer.
6. Add small dots with beads and rows of ruffles. It is important to work small.
7. Use a fine brush, marbleizer, or pointed tool with gel to add scrollwork.
8. Use a small design brush to build a detailed cameo. Work in very thin layers.
Buy Inspirations: Designer Nail Collection ($59.95) from store.nailsmag.com.