Nail tech and esthetician Janelle Lamont started her own business in Williams Lake, Canada, when she was only 19 years old. Ten years later, it has grown to become the well-known Tickled Pink Beauty Bar. Lamont specializes in nail art and is a selfproclaimed marbling queen, regularly demonstrating her technique to curious techs. Learn how to create Lamont’s red and black marbling design, an elegant winter look for clients.
1. Apply two layers of colored gel (Lamont used LCN’s Secret Sensation) at the tip of the nail in a wide rectangle. Flash cure between each coat for a few seconds with an LED light or 10 seconds with a UV light.
2. Place a thin layer of clear gel over the entire nail. Don’t cure it yet.
3. With a marbling tool, lay three colors of gel in vertical lines on top of the colored gel at the tip. Make sure one of the colors is a 3-D gel for best results. (3-D gel has a much thicker consistency and is good for adding raised texture, giving the swirls a more defined look.) Lamont used LCN’s gel in Glamour Shot and LCN’s Colour Gel 3D Design in Deep Black.
4. Start at the bottom left corner of the free edge. In one stroke, drag the gel diagonally upward toward the cuticle.
5. Repeat the motion from step four starting at the opposite corner.
6. Manipulate the product by doing a few more short strokes in a circular motion. Instead of trying to swirl the colors together, lift the marble tool off the nail after every half circular stroke and repeat the motion at another spot on the tip. Cure.