Allure offers five steps for a performing a great spa manicure at home.
1. Prep. Remove existing polish with a non-acetone remover and begin filing nails straight across in one direction. Round the edges once nails are slightly shorter than the tips of your toes.
2. Soak. Apply cuticle oil to each toe and then let feet soak in a 50-50 mix of whole milk and warm water, reaching right above the ankles.
3. Neaten. Removing one foot at a time from the milk bath, begin pushing back cuticles with an orangewood stick. Trim hangnails as necessary but do not pull or cut them too much.
4. Smooth. Scrub the bottoms of feet with a foot file and then rinse before applying a thick callus-softening cream.
5. Polish. Use a toe separator and wipe nails with polish remover before applying a ridge-filling base coat. Apply a thin layer of polish, wait two minutes, and apply another. Lastly, apply a topcoat and let nails dry for an hour.