Celebrity nail artist Jenna Hipp gives readers a step-by-step cheat sheet on how to give "Fall's Mega-Hot Mani" this month in Cosmopolitan. She encourages you to be a nudist and embrace the nude-nail craze this fall.
Remove polish, then swipe bare nails with alcohol to nix any oils that could prevent polish from sticking.
- File nails in one direction until all are the same length (fall's It Shape: round and just past fingertips.) Sawing back and forth splits the delicate nail layers, causing polish to peel later.
- A neat, perfect paint job is key to this look. If you're not skilled at staying inside the lines, protect your cuticles with pieces of clear tape.
- Following a base coat, apply two coats of nude polish, first running the brush up the center of the nails and then working outward. Seal color with top coat.
- Aim a blow-dryer toward nails at a 45-degree angle, using the cool setting (hot air prevents solvents from evap, so polish won't set). When nails dry, remove tape from step 2.
- Dip a foundation brush into olive oil, and lightly sweep it from knuckle to cuticle for a glowy finish. Rubbing in a thick lotion with hands can smudge your work.
Tip: The Best Nude For You
For a skin-flattering hue, choose one that looks similar to your foundation.