Thao Nguyen, San Diego
1. Apply acrylic. “Be sure to apply it thickly enough — I find it much easier to work with than thinner acrylic,” says Nguyen.
2. Make sure to allow enough drying time before you make the indentations. When the acrylic has dried enough to turn matte, use fishing wire to make the indentations.
3. Make all the cuts in one direction first, then add the other cuts in the other direction over the previous ones. Cover your design with a thin layer of glitter.
4. Once the glitter is deposited in the lines, you can lightly file off the excess glitter. Finish it off with top gel or add some line work or 3-D flowers if you like.
Phuong Luu, Jersey City, N.J.
1. Apply a very thin layer of nude acrylic (or the color of your choice). Add a hint of gold foil to the tip of the nail for a touch of fun.
2. Create rose petals by adding very thin layers of white acrylic.
3. Add petals in a circle from the outside in until the rose is complete.
4. To finish, cap all nails with clear acrylic, file to shape, buff, and apply top gel.
To create an ombre nail, apply a very thin layer of white acrylic, let it set, then apply nude acrylic as if doing a fill.
To marble with acrylic, double-dip two colors with one color on each side of your brush. Marbling is easier if you work really wet and work in sections until the entire nail is covered. Don’t swirl too much — just add as needed.
John Nguyen, Mount Pleasant, Texas
Apply a thin, clear base and sprinkle the ivy colors to create a fade down the nail (colors from #Notpolish Dip-it were used to create this set). Apply a thin layer of clear acrylic then apply shattered glass strips, small glitters, and dried flowers while the layer is still wet. Finish by capping with clear powder.
Mikey Nguyen, San Diego
1. Start with crystal clear tips. Apply chunky glitters all over the nails. Cut angel paper in small pieces and apply it over the glitter using glue.
2. Encapsulate everything in a thin layer of clear acrylic.
3. Use an e-file at a very slow speed to carve curved lines onto the nails.
4. Finish by buffing the nails and applying top coat.