1. Prep nails for gel-polish application. Apply base coat and cure. Apply a coat of your base color of choice and cure. Repeat for full coverage.
2. Use a striping brush and a lighter shade to create an oval-like shape at the lunula area. Add two more similar shapes toward the free edge. Cure.
3. Use another shade to layer a similar, smaller shape inside the first oval. Cure.
4. Use black gel-polish and a thin art brush to layer a smaller shape. Lightly paint small dashes around the outer oval shape to complete the ikat design. Cure.
5. Complete the look with a layer of matte top coat and cure.
Melissa Rios, Los Angeles, @melimelr
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.