With Earth Day upon us, you might be wondering how you can do your part to help the environment. Here are a few ideas for “greening” your salon — it’s easier than you think!
- Replace all of your salon’s conventional light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs). CFLs last up to 10 times longer and use 75% less energy.
- Turn off break room and bathroom lights when not in use.
- Upgrade HVAC (heating-ventilation-air conditioning) systems. Consider installing an Energy Star-qualified programmable thermostat.
- Make sure your salon is adequately ventilated. Indoor air can be polluted by chemicals used in nail care products and cause health problems when inhaled.
- Remember to shut down and even unplug computers and other equipment at the end of the day.
- Next time you buy an appliance for the salon — television, refrigerator, computer — consider buying Energy Star-qualified products. They cost more, but they use 10%-50% less energy and water than standard models.
- Switch to non-toxic cleaning products such as Simple Green.
- Look for paper towels that contain recycled or Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)-certified fiber. Use recycled paper for salon menus and fliers, and post your menu on your website as a printable PDF.
- Replace bottled water with filtered water, and offer your clients beverages in glasses.
- Carry an eco-friendly vegan nail care line.
- Choose salon uniforms and aprons made from fabrics that come from natural, organic sources like organic cotton, hemp, and bamboo, rather than synthetic ones.
- Set up a recycling program for old magazines, glass, plastic, cardboard, and other paper items.
You Might also Like: [White on White] Salon Decor We Love
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.