For proof that nail art is fit to walk down any red carpet, just take a look at the many celebrities who sport it. After seeing these designs magnified on the manicam and praised on social media, take matters into your own hands and offer your take on these looks to clients. We challenged nail techs to recreate some of the most iconic manis worn by celebrities so that anyone can get the star treatment.
Tom Bachik created this vintage-looking daisy manicure for Zooey Deschanel to wear to the 2014 Golden Globes.
1. In a dampen dish mix NSI Polish Pro Blanca and Fresh Powder, then add two drops of NSI Polish Pro Year of the Horse and three drops of NSI Polish Pro A-Mauv-elous Night. Apply mixture to nails.
2. On the thumb, middle, and pinkie finger, randomly place NSI Secrets Moondust Effects Tsuki to the tacky layer. Seal it in with a layer of NSI Top Coat and cure in the LED light.
3. On the index finger use NSI Secrets Moondust Effect Luna and seal it under a layer of NSI Top Coat. 4. Add various flower designs to four fingers with NSI Secrets Design Gel in Little White Lies.
5. To make glitter gems, mix NSI Base Coat and NSI Secrets Sparkle in Luster. On the ring finger, small metal studs were used to create a simple design element.
Rita Ora wore a mix of nail art to the 2014 Grammy Awards. Designs included a mustache, Commes des Garçons-inspired heart, smiley face, and even Batman.
1. Use gel-polish to paint the base of each nail, except for the Union Jack.
2. For the Union Jack nail, use traditional lacquer to create the design. This look was added as a representation of Ora’s British background.
3. For the Comme des Garçons nail, sculpt the heart out of red acrylic then paint on the eye details and attach it to the nail.
Patricia Yankee used her namesake lacquer, additives, and foil to bedazzle Katy Perry’s tips for the 2013 Met Ball.
1. Mix gold caviar beads into clear acrylic powder. Also mix blue glitter into clear acrylic powder and apply both as if doing a pink and white set. Apply a thin layer of clear acrylic, buff, and add top coat.
2. Form a 3-D bow using blue acrylic. Apply a thin coat of foil glue. Then use gold foil over the dried glue and apply top coat over the gold area only.
3. Using gold and blue nail polish, create roses using simple brush strokes in an uneven spiral pattern and seal with matte top coat.
4. Place gold and blue rhinestones into the pattern of Katy Perry’s manicure with clear acrylic. Then apply top coat.
5. Paint horizontal stripes using gold polish. Create polka dots with blue paint and various sized dotting tools. Then apply top coat.
Tom Bachik made this movie mani for Zooey Deschanel to wear to the 2013 Golden Globes.
1. Polish the nails with China Glaze Gelaze in Diva Bride.
2. Outline the film reel and the wave of film coming out of it with black gel-polish and cure.
3. Fill in all of the details in the film reel with gold gel-polish and make little white dashes on the film reel with white gel-polish and cure.
4. Apply chunky gold glitter gel in a wave to mimic stars in the sky and cure.
5. Apply gel top coat, cure, and clean with 99% alcohol.
Katie Jane Hughes took lace from actress Emmy Rossum’s dress to make her matching set of nails for the 2013 Met Ball.
1. Paint all the nails with a tan or nude polish.
2. Cut out the lace tulle as close to the size of the nail as possible, concentrating on the cuticle edge to keep it clean and precise.
3. Coat two nails with Seche Vite Top Coat to prep them for the lace. Quickly place the fabric on the nails, smoothing it out to lie completely flat against the nail. Allow to dry.
4. Create a half-moon on one nail and diagonal blocking on another with the blue and glitter.
5. Coat lace nails with two coats of Gelish Top It Off.
6. With seed beads, O-rings, and multi-faceted jewels, embellish nails, gluing everything on with Dashing Diva Gel Glue.
Katy Perry wore movie-themed nails from es Nail Los Angeles to the premiere of her film, “Part of Me” in 2012.
1. Polish nails with NSI Go Color On My Way Up.
2. Make the music note using a detail brush and NSI Deep Secrets Design Gel. Cure for 30 seconds. Add white lines with NSI Little White Lies. After curing for 30 seconds, use NSI Ring of Truth to add sparkle to white lines. Adhere Swarovski crystals all around the design.
3. For the star, mix Little White Lies and NSI Design Gel in Think About It. Before curing, add gold glitter. Use a detail brush to make the star, then cure for 30 seconds.
4. Draw out the glasses using Little White Lies; then cure for 30 seconds. Mix Little White Lies with NSI A Little Bird Told Me to paint the eye lens. Use NSI My Lips Are Sealed for the other lens. Coat around the glasses with Secrets soak-off gel in Confidential. Cure for 60 seconds, then wipe off disbursement layer with NSI Cleanse. Adhere crystals.
5. Use Little White Lies to outline and fill in the popcorn box. Cure for 30 seconds. Make red lines and add the word “Pop” with My Lips Are Sealed using a detail brush. Cure for 30 seconds. Mix white and yellow colors to fill in the popcorn. Before curing, add NSI Intensity yellow glitter. Cure for 30 seconds and brush off excess glitter. Brush NSI Ring of Truth around the nail.
6. Trace the Hollywood Hills using NSI Deep Secrets Design Gel. With the same gel, fill in the black for the sky and cure for 30 seconds. Add glisten to the sky with Ring of Truth and cure. Spell out “Hollywood” with Little White Lies and cure. Ring of Truth can be used to add glisten to the Hollywood sign as well. Add crystals to complete the look.
Pattie Yankee used her polish line, Nail Veils, and rubies to create the red carpet look for Katy Perry’s perfume launch.
1. Paint nails with a merlot micro shimmer polish.
2. While the polish is still slightly damp, place a piece of scrap lace over the polish and line it up per your design. Smooth the lace out over the polish so it’s flat. Coat with Seche Vite Top Coat and let it completely dry.
3. Use acrylic paint with an ultra-fine brush and paint the swirls on the various nails with a few little scattered rosettes.
5. Once dry, paint on a second coat of the Seche Vite, avoiding all lace pieces. (You cannot coat the lace with the top coat as it will darken any of the white or lighter colored laces.)
6. Add stones, pearls, and tiny gold caviar beads. Use the beads to frame the stones and flowers.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.