The winner of VietSALON Magazine's dragon nail art mural contest, nail artist Robert Nguyen lent his 3-D nail artistry to this month’s Lunar New Year-themed issue to help us welcome the Year of the Dragon.
Here’s how Robert created these dragon nails:
1. Prep nails and apply OPI "Free Form" forms. Sculpt a thin stiletto foundation and build the shape of a stiletto nail using OPI Absolute Crystal Clear.
2. File nails using OPI 150 Edge.
3. Paint the nails a navy blue color using DNA paint.
4. Brush on clear overlay gel over the entire nail and cure.
5. Remove sticky residue using NAS 99.
6. Glue on the dragons head.* Reinforce with OPI Absolute perfect white.
7. Sculpt the body, belly, and spine.
8. Sculpt the waves.
9. Paint everything using DNA paint and DNA Brushes (dynailart.com).
*Making the head: Robert made a soft mold for the dragonhead so he could easily manipulate it rather than fix hard acrylic. Fill the mold with acrylic and remove it once it has dried. Use a drill and an underside bit to sharpen any lines in the dragons face.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.