Sure you want to know everything you can about a prospective new booth renter. But there are certain questions you simply can’t ask - whether on the rental application or during the interview process - without running afoul of anti-discrimination laws. “A salon owner and booth renter have a land-lord/tenant relationship.” Kassidy’s Salon Management and Pygmalion Salon in Long Beach, Calif “That means the type of questions you can ask are similar to those you’re allowed to ask on an apartment rental application - like past employment and even credit history.” Questions that delve into issues like race sexual-orientation, or medical history are considered discriminatory, instead, Cassidy recommends focusing on the applicant’s past employment history and interviewing them at least twice before signing of the dotted line. “You can ask past landlords or employers whether rent was paid on time or whether they would employ this person again. You can also verify their retail selling ability by asking for a copy of their retail commission check,” says Cassidy.
For more information on Cassidy’s salon management tools, including booth rental application and agreements, visit www.kassidys.com
Get the Facts
You may consider yourself an expert on nails, but here are some handy facts unearthed by the folks at Creative Nail Design that may have escaped your notice.
- Nails grow 20% faster in the summer compared to the winter (yes, even in year-round temperature climates).
- Nails grow faster on the dominant hands. As a rule, the longer the finger, the faster the nail grows Men’s nails grow faster than women’s.
- The full lifetime of an adult nail is four months.
- Modern nail enamel formulations were adapted from post-World War I car paint technology advancements.
- Eating certain foods won’t make your nails better, but eating healthy will make your nails be the best they can genetically be.
- The first documented nail polishing was in the area that is now China, around 3000 B.C. The polish was made of a mixture of gum arabic, gelatin, bee’s wax, and egg whites. Yum.
- The nail plate is comprised of less than one tenth of one percent (1%) calcium. There’s 3.5 times more sodium in the nail plate than calcium - eating more salt or calcium won’t help your nails.
- Ancient Egyptian and later Roman military commanders painted their nails to match their lips before going into battle.
OK TO ASK
- Employment History
- Professional license number
- Average monthly income
- Areas of specialty
- Personal references
- Work references
- Do you carry insurance
ISSUES TO AVOID
- Sexual orientation
- Marital status
- National origin
- Medical history
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.