“If a guest mentions something that would make her happy, we will go out of our way to do it,” says Fiona Tolunay, co-owner of Houston’s Vanity Salon (www.vanity-salon.com). “We have worked hard to curate an environment full of small acts of love and service that delight our guests when they spend time with us.”
Below Tolunay shares just some of the ways they go the extra mile — and maintain an 80% client retention rate in the process.
1. Our guests are very diverse, so we have made sure that half of our team is bilingual, including our front desk.
2. We accommodate the various religious and cultural beliefs our guests hold. For example, if a woman needs a private space away from men to receive her service, we will make that happen for her.
3. When moms are receiving services and need to take a break to breastfeed or pump, we offer them our offices as a quiet and private space.
4. We special order magazines from Europe for guests who have told us they enjoy them.
5. We celebrate special events. For example, in honor of the last royal wedding, we provided cookies and fancy hats for guests to wear.
6. If a guest in our strip center location mentions being hungry, we’ll go out and pick up food for her. If someone mentions wanting a drink we don’t have on hand, we’ll go buy it.
7. We have a cappuccino machine to provide guests with top-quality coffee beverages to enjoy while receiving their services, in addition to wine and fresh baked goods.
8. When it’s raining, we walk guests to their cars with umbrellas.
9. We escort our elderly guests to and from their cars, and in some cases, if they cannot drive, we go to their homes to pick them up for their service and then drop them off afterwards.
10. We hold an annual Customer Appreciation event every December where guests can enjoy complimentary products, wine, food and more.
11. We give out gift cards to our top 100 retail and service guests.
12. We offer charging stations that suit a variety of different devices.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.