This design, “Groovy,” shows how CND's just-launched "Additives" can be used with Brisa Gloss and Brisa Paint.
If you’re constantly on the prowl for that little something extra to make your art stand out from the next tech’s, try CND’s just launched Additives — this new line of pure color pigments in powdered form was designed with the nail artist in mind.
The July launch included 12 cosmetic-grade powdered colors (not to be confused with acrylic powder): Yellow, Bright Red, Black, and Medium Green that offer straight-up color; Cerulean Blue, Haute Pink, Antique Bronze, Violet Pearl, and Titanium Pearl are equally bold, but with a touch of shimmer (earning them the name of “Pigment Effects” by CND); while Pink Gold Sparkle, Green Gold Sparkle, and Spectrum Silver offer a bit of color but are mainly for sparkle power (and hence dubbed “Effects”). Any of these Additives can be blended into sculpting powder, gel, or layered over Shellac for unique nail creations. (Just don’t mix more than 30% Additives into an acrylic or gel in order to maintain the enhancement’s integrity.)
Here’s a sample design, “Groovy,” that shows how Additives can be used with Brisa Gloss and Brisa Paint.
You Will Need:
(All products are CND, except for the lint-free pads, the mixing tray, and the scoop, which are all available at professional beauty stores.)
> Clear Tips
> Brisa Sculpting Gel Clear
> Brisa Paint Pure White
> Brisa Gloss
> Brisa Bond
> Additives: Yellow Pigment
> Additives: Haute Pink Pigment
> Additives: Cerulean Blue Pigment Effect
> ProSeries Gel Flat Oval #6 Brush
> files and buffers
> UV lamp
> plastic mixing tray and measuring scoop
> lint-free pads
1. Prep the natural nail and apply a Clear Tip. Apply Brisa Bond and a Brisa Clear Gel enhancement. Finish with the 180 side of the Blizzard File.
2. Apply two layers of Pure White Brisa Paint, curing each layer for two minutes.
3. Mix the Additives with Brisa Gloss and Brisa Pure White Paint with a measuring scoop in a mixing tray to create the custom colors. For the bright yellow, mix 3 parts Brisa Gloss with 1 part Brisa Paint Pure White and 1 part Additives Yellow. For the hot pink, mix 3 parts Brisa Gloss with 1/2 part Brisa Paint Pure White and 1 part Additives Haute Pink. For the electric blue, mix 3 parts Brisa Gloss with 1/2 part Brisa Paint Pure White and 1 part Additives Cerulean Blue.
4. Use a ProSeries Gel Flat Oval Brush to apply the custom blue gel, floating it from side-to-side to create the design. Add small details to the sides. Flash cure for 10 seconds. Clean the brush.
5. Apply the pink gel with the same side-to-side floating technique, overlapping a portion of the blue. Add small details to the sides. Flash cure for 10 seconds. Clean the brush.
6. Apply the yellow gel with the same side-to-side floating technique, overlapping a portion of the pink. Add small details to the sides. Flash cure for 10 seconds. Clean the brush. Cure for two minutes to set the entire design.
7. Seal with a thin layer of Brisa Gloss. Cure for two minutes. Remove the sticky layer with ScrubFresh and a lint-free pad.
Watch a step-by-step of this design, plus many more nail art designs created with Additives, at www.nailsmag.com/video/additivesnailart.