“I was really impressed with all of the entries for last weeks challenge! Each one was so original and had its own twist on the theme,” said Silvestro. Like most of us, her eyes went straight to the crystal. “Speaking of the tutorials, Silvestro notes their importance, especially since this is an online competition. The tutorial score can make or break a competitor.
Silvestro not only knows firsthand about competing, but she also knows from watching Season 2’s Danielle Costantino (who worked in her salon) compete. “All the months of hard work and dedication each of you put in after a long days work in the salon is worth every bit of the effort. Danielle’s career has skyrocketed since NTNA. She has gone on to become an award winning educator in the industry and is now opening her very own salon and education studio.”
Her advice to the Top 18 is as follows:
- Try to work as neatly as possible through each step. Take the time to thoroughly clean your tools and workstation, this way you can take amazing photos of each step that reflect not only your artistic talent but also your professionalism and cleanliness.
- Have your own nails done or at least wear gloves.
- Create a collage if there are multiple steps in a tutorial.
- Use Spellcheck and proofread your work for professionalism.
- A well-balanced design with clean and tasteful details will usually be more impressive than the actual size or amount of art. Detail is also important, so if there’s too much empty space the work may seem unfinished. Balance and detail are key.
- Don’t lose focus of the actual nails, as this is still a nail competition. Make sure we can see the nails in the finished work.
Gina’s final message to all of our pre-challenge competitors: “I congratulate each contestant that has entered, you are ALL winning.”
Congratulations to our Top 18 for making the cut! Stay tuned as Pre-Challenge #2 will go online November 13.