September 2009 marks the 30th anniversary of CND. Read on for some things you may not know about the company.
13. When the Nordstrom family started the business, the labels were put on by hand by all the children at the dining room table.
14. All CND Education Ambassadors have to attend “boot camp” to get certified, and it requires all that the name indicates — early rise, stringent exercise, power breakfast, then mandatory attendance at a nail table by 7:30 a.m.
15. CND Sea Serum has 20% AHAs. Left on for five minutes, an 80-grit file will remove the problem corn or callus simply by buffing, eliminating the need for a pedi razor.
16. At CND’s corporate office in San Diego, there was a heated “American Idol” pool valued at $300.
17. Mom (aka Mrs. Nordstrom) personally signed all CND paychecks until Revlon took over.
18. Every product CND sells is concepted, researched, developed, and tested in CND’s own in-house laboratory in San Diego.
19. CND has 500 Education Ambassadors in 92 countries.
20. Did you know that Nail Fresh has an off-label ability to immediately dry up pimples?
21. CND has three in-house hotline customer service representatives who are also licensed nail professionals and Boot Camp-certified Education Ambassadors.
22. Co-founder and style director Jan Arnold has personally buffed the fingernails of such stars as Ricky Martin, Green Day’s lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong, Fergie, and Slash, to name a few.
23. Even CEO John Heffner knows how to do a proper nail enhancement (...though it did take him three hours to do one nail).
24. CND’s top nail professionals are jetted to New York, London, and Paris to do manicures for nearly 100 fashion shows per season.
25. John Heffner has every single issue of NAILS Magazine since 1997 chronologically and meticulously arranged in his office.
26. CND was one of the first advertisers in NAILS in 1983.
27. Education Ambassador Amanda Fontanarrosa has racked up approximately 36,983 per year for CND travel.
28. Three of the Nordstrom children met their spouses through CND. Co-founder Jim Nordstrom married an Education Ambassador; Tom Nordstrom married a nail professional; and Jan Nordstrom married the guy in charge of the company’s ad agency (at the time).
29. CND was founded by the Nordstrom family, but they are not related to the Nordstrom department store family.
30. Karen Sheaffer, CND’s Front Desk Coordinator (receptionist) really is the secret first level of screening for new hire candidates. How they treat her has a bearing on the hiring process.
To see more pictures of CND throughout the company’s 30 years, log on to www.nailsmag.com/hotoffthepresses and click on Galleries. For more information on CND go to www.cnd.com.