When Princess Gard decided to attend America’s Beauty Show (ABS) earlier this year, she had no idea what to expect. Little did she know her entry would not only win her $500, but also a spot on the cover of NAILS Magazine.
When Princess Gard decided to attend America’s Beauty Show (ABS) earlier this year, she had no idea what to expect. She jumped online to look over the show’s website to see if there were any classes or events she wanted to attend. That’s how she found out about the Stars Photo Competition that Cosmetologists Chicago was putting on.
Little did she know her entry would not only win her $500, but also a spot on the cover of NAILS Magazine. A professional nail tech for 10 years (although she admits she was doing nails four years before that), Princess is a booth renter at Kuts & Kurls Beauty Salon in Shaker Heights, Ohio. Her clients keep her motivated “because they believe in me and love my unique and creative services.”
“I had stiletto nails in mind because they are so fun to create,” she says. “I then thought ‘What would make this style edgy?’ Rock star came to mind and I went from there! I wanted the nails to look rock star-inspired with a commercial look. I used my cousin’s guitar as a prop and it came out exactly how I imagined it would.”
And it was obviously a success since she won the competition. NAILS editor Hannah Lee and CND cofounder Jan Arnold were the honored judges, and the NAILS cover wasn’t actually part of the prize package. “The nails were so cool and I just loved the concept with the guitar,” says Hannah. “I just knew it had to be a cover.”
When asked about the highlight of her career Princess says, “Truly, being on the cover of this internationally recognized magazine has been the highlight of my career. I want people to see my art and be inspired. I hope to further my success in the many years to come.”
Here's how you can do these nails:
1. Prep the nail using standard sanitization process. Roughen the nail with an electric file and place form underneath nail. Press in the sides of the form to create a stiletto.
2. Build the nail only to the free edge to created the perfect smile line.
3. Apply a thin layer of CND Perfect Color Clear to form the stiletto nail shape. Apply a small amount of Young Nails Imagination Art Golden Orange Glitter.
4. Apply a small amount of Young Nails Rainbow Collection Black powder. Then apply a custom-blended powder at the tip. (Princess used Young Nails Metallic Gold, Rainbow Yellow, and Fortune Glitter).
5. Apply mylar and/or confetti for more sparkle and dimension.
6. Cap the nail in CND Perfect Color Clear.
7. File and shape the nail to get a smooth and sleek finish.
8. Apply Young Nails UV top coat to add shine and complete the look.