Julie Brown, owner of Fancy Feet & Nails in Plainfield, Wis., submits three handpainted designs to celebrate the Year of the Rat.
1. Polish the nail bright red. Using yellow acrylic paint, create a large star on the upper left corner of the nail.
2. Paint four small yellow stars on the right edge of the nail. Draw thin white lines connecting the stars.
3. Draw thin white lines connecting the stars.
4. Place a large white dot under the corner of the big star. Paint three white lines coming down from the dot. Apply a clear crystal rhinestone on top of the dot. Apply top coat.
1. Polish the nail sapphire. Using brown acrylic paint, create the body of a rat.
2. Add a small white dot for the eye. Use light pink to color the inner ears.
3. Using black, add the rat’s pupil and whiskers. Using bright pink, add a dot for the nose. Using bright green, add long branches on the right side of the nail.
4. Outline the rat in light brown. Write “2008” on the body. Add clear rhinestones on top of the stems. Apply top coat.
1. Polish the nail gold. Using white paint, create the body of a panda.
2. Using black paint, create the eyes, mouth, nose, ears, legs, and tail.
3. Add a white dot to the eyes, then a smaller black dot for the pupil. Use yellow paint to add bamboo shoots. Add leaves in bright green.
4. Using white, add shadows to the leaves. Outline bamboo joints, leaves, and branches in black. Add yellow dots in the spaces between the leaves. Paint a yellow sun in the upper left corner, then add a yellow rhinestone in the center. Apply top coat.
Go to New Year, New Inspiration (NAILS Magazine, February, 2008) for additional Year of the Rat nail art designs.