Vicki Peters has worn many hats in the nail world. And that’s to be expected since she’s a 30-year veteran of this industry she loves so much.
Vicki Peters (left) is no stranger to cover shoots. She’s done more than 200 covers in her illustrious 30-year career. Model Traycee King is no stranger to cover shoots either. Her hands and feet have graced the covers
of NAILS Magazine and sister publication VietSALON many, many times.
Vicki Peters has worn many hats in the nail world. And that’s to be expected since she’s a 30-year veteran of this industry she loves so much. Over the years, she has gone from working in a salon and competing to directing competitions and educating other nail techs. (At different times in her career, she’s even worked at both of the major nail magazines.) She’s dabbled in becoming a product manufacturer, and has now landed in the sweet spot of sharing everything she’s learned through consulting.
“After coming back to Los Angeles after a short 18-month-stay in Las Vegas, I have been doing a lot of consulting for three major companies Nubar being the main one,” says Vicki. “I’ve been helping to develop its educational support videos, trade show training, and sales and educational meetings overseas. Recently I trained Nubar distributors in Prague, Croatia, Cypress, and Greece.” She’s even going over to Beirut, Lebanon, to run a competition for a Nubar distributor. She loves and thrives on educating other techs, whether it’s at trade shows, networking events, online, or through one-on-one work. She’s always willing to help get better non-product-specific education to the nail tech masses. (We thank her for that.) And she swears that someday she’ll find the time to finish her two books.
Here’s how you can do these nails:
1. Apply Nubar Stiletto White tips. (Vicki shaped the sides of the tips and slenderized them before application so there’d be less finish filing at the end.) She used a thin brush-on glue and tweezers to make sure the ears of the tips were pressed down into the side walls of the nails for a perfect fit.
2. Use a tip cutter if you’re going for a shorter look. Once the tips are cut, measure all of the nails so all of the nail beds and tips match each other in size.
3. Apply Nubar Pink Cover Gel on the nail bed, making sure not to pull it over the nail tip. Cure each layer for one minute. Each layer should be thin so there is no heat spike on the client’s nails.
4. Apply Nubar Clear Gel over the nail tips, and overlay the whole nail with clear gel. Cure each layer for one minute.
5. Use Nubar Clear Gel to build added strength in the stress area for a good supportive apex. Cure for one minute.
6. Use an electric file and a fine carbide bit to shape and finish file the nails. Check the profile of each nail to make sure the apex is located consistently in the same place from nail to nail.
7. Buff the surface and all the edges of the nails with a coarse buffer and apply high-gloss gel sealant. Cure for one minute.
8. (Optional) Apply rhinestones to one accent finger if your client has a fancy event or holiday party to attend. Remember nails really are the ultimate holiday accessory.