InStyle talks with manicurist Josephine Allen about her favorite tips for two-week manicures and some of her favorite custom-color combinations.
- Do 1 ½ base coats. Apply the base coat to the upper half of the nail and after it dries, apply another coat to the whole nail for a stronger foundation.
- Pile on the polish. Allen advises using generous amounts of lacquer for each of the two layers of polish.
- Seal the deal. Apply one coat of Nailtiques 2, followed by one coat of Seche Clear for a strong topcoat that helps the polish dry fast.
- Cool it. Dip hands in and out of a bowl of ice water to help speed drying time. “This helps to set the lacquer,” Allen says.
Josephine Allen’s favorite Essie color combos:
- Apertif + Russian Roulette = The Perfect Red
- Sugar Daddy + Blushing Bride = The Perfect Pale
- Swing Velvet + Bordeaux = The Perfect Dark