Good Housekeeping offers five great tips for making a manicure last and last.
- Prep the surface. First, swipe nails with a cotton pad soaked with polish remover. Jin Soon Choi, owner of Jin Soon Natural spas in NYC, says that greasiness from lotion will prevent the polish from adhering well.
- Choose the Right Base. Since not all polishes are the same, be sure to choose a soft and sticky base coat to help grab color.
- Pick a Pearly Polish. Try a pearly shade like Essie Pink Diamond for a long-wearing, lady-like hue. These shades are more likely to last thanks to their fine mica particles.
- Top it Off. Avoid quick-dry top coats and stick to thick, slow drying formulas for lasting shine and longer protection, recommends Jan Arnold, cofounder of CND.
- Oil Daily. Be sure to rub cuticle oil into nails daily to help keep polish from chipping and nails from peeling, recommends Good Housekeeping.