Allure magazine's April 2012 issue provided readers with a list of the top five most common manicure wreckers.
1. Alcohol - Constantly applying hand sanitizers will erode the topcoat and make nails appear duller.
2. Drying shortcuts - Submerging a fresh manicure in cold water. Icy temperatures cause the nail edges to flare, creating tiny cracks in the polish.
3. Texting - Every tap of those tiny buttons is a tiny trauma to the nails.
4. Folding a Fresh Load of Laundry - The heat softens the nail polish and fades its color. The same goes for cooking over a hot stove.
5. Body or Facial Scrubs - The scrubs slough off the outer layer of your nail polish.