Put a collection of bright polish colors together to create a rainbow manicure that isn't the standard "Roy G. Biv."
According to Allure magazine's July 2012 issue, if you use a little bit of color theory, you could create something playful yet chic without looking like you're headed to recess.
- Don't be haphazard about the colors.
- Go for a classic shape.
- Use the term "rainbow" with an asterisk. This look is more like a mini rainbow. Choose three similar shades — such as blue, green, and aqua, or fuchsia, red, and orange — and paint them on different fingers. Don't create a perfect pattern; a random mix looks cooler.
- Keep it simple. This is not the time to get all wacky with matte, glitter, sheer, or indigo glow-in-the-dark polishes. Stick with formulas that are glossy and opaque.
- When in doubt, try the trend on your toes first.
- Aqua Marine: Starting with OPI's Green-wich and ending with a turquoise, sandwiching navy blue.
- Coral Fixation: Start with OPI's A Roll in the Hague, then do Zoya's Lara and end in a deep red.
- Citrus Punch: A mixture of bright yellow, orange and orange-red.