Allure magazine, in its November 2012 issue, compiled a list of six tips for rocking the perfect set of glittery nails.
1. Neat nails are a must. Nails should be at least an eighth of an inch long and filed into a soft, round shape.
2. Size matters. Fine glitter looks best on short nails. The longer nails are, the bigger the glitter can get. Deborah Lippmann's Cleopatra is an example of large glitter, while OPI's Living Daylights is considered chunky.
3. Go tone-on-tone. The simplest way to wear the trend is to choose opaque polish that contains the same color glitter. Stick with metallic shades or dramatic hues.
4. Bling out a basic manicure. Layer sparkly polishes with a clear or sheer base over a contrasting shade. (Ex. Gold over nude and silver over navy.)
5. Try a gradation of glitter. Once the base color is dry, sweep glitter across the tips. Using little strokes, brush some flecks down the length of the nail.
6. Don't forget topcoat. Glittery nails should shine like a jewel. Try high-shine top coats.