How can I prevent mold from appearing under an enhancement? And, what’s the quickest way to get rid of it?
Mold is not a normal nail pathogen. What you are describing may be a bacterial infection. But only a doctor can determine the cause of the client’s problem.
Here’s why: Whenever a nail professional tells a client they have a bacterial infection, they have just “diagnosed a disease.” When nail professionals attempt to get rid of the infection, they have now “treated a disease.” Neither diagnosis nor treatment of any diseases is allowed under nail technician licensing. Such clients should be referred to a qualified medical professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Of course, if a doctor provides specific instructions on how to treat such an infection and asks you to do so, then it would be allowable. But, you must work under a doctor’s direction or risk losing your license and possibly gaining a lawsuit against you, should anything go wrong. — Doug Schoon is vice president of science and technology for Creative Nail Design.