After wearing UV-light cured gels for about three months, I suddenly develop blisters under my nail plate. After a few days of itching and irritation, I saw a doctor who prescribed a steroid cream. After a week or so, the problem cleared up. Now I have dents in my nail plate, although my nails appear fine otherwise. Is it possible I overexposed myself to the UV light? Will this situation correct itself eventually?
You probably developed an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients the UV-light gels. If you are allergic, you will need to switch to a different system, such as wraps or liquid and powder acrylic, because every time you are exposed to that ingredient, you will have the same reaction. The deformities in your nail should grow out over the next four months. Fortunately, there is rarely any permanent damage to the nails from that kind of reaction. – Phoebe Rich, M.D.