What should I look for when buying an electric file?
At Kupa, we assist thousands of nail technicians yearly, guiding them to make the right decision. This is something the team at KUPA does at trade shows as well. If a nail tech inquires at our trade show booth we give them what I call a “drill tour.” We start at the bottom and work our way to the top of the line, explaining all the features and benefits of each machine, along with the costs.
Purchasing an electric file for the first time can be a bit overwhelming and you need to do your homework. Think of it like buying a car. Shop around, ask your friends, look at what everyone else has, and then do some comparative shopping.
I firmly believe that every nail professional should have a good machine, whether they use it all the time or just once in a while. Electric files can enhance your services, save your hands, do efficient backfills, and get into places a hand file can’t. On the other hand, I believe every tech should be able to hand file without the use of an electric file, producing the same quality service, no matter how you file. Plus you do not want to be handicapped if you don’t have access to an electric file for some reason.
Here are a few things you should consider when doing your comparative shopping:
- Will you use it on every client or only a few times a day?
- Are you fully booked or just starting out? (That will also play a part in how much you will use it.)
- Have you been hand filing for years and need to use an e-file to save your hands?
- How much table space do you have available for an electric file on your desk?
- Do you want a starter machine?
- Will you want to upgrade to a higher-end machine later?
- Do you want the best one available or an intermediate model?
- How much you plan on spending will dictate what you can get for your money.
If you’re about to venture into electric filing or want to upgrade go to our website (http://kupainc.com) listen to my Drill Tour podcast.