Nail product manufacturers tell us their story in the space of a cocktail napkin.
Jeff Pink, President and CEO of Orly International
My mission was to innovate natural nail care.
My proudest industry milestones:
• 1975 Wherefore art thou? Romeo, the first ever nail strengthener is introduced.
• 1976 Ridgefiller priming basecoat is released, smoothing out nails across the world.
• 1976 Ooh la la! We create The French Manicure, which becomes the first-ever iconic nail look.
• 1980 Bonder rubberized basecoat becomes a must-have product for manicurists everywhere!
• 2002 Get a grip! Orly introduces the Gripper Cap, the first major functional packaging innovation of the nail industry.
Jeff Pink, president and CEO of Orly International
Faina Ritz, Owner of Duri Cosmetics
I was born in St. Petersburg, Russia. Survived the siege of Leningrad as an infant. In spite of all odds, grew up, graduated from university in Organic Chemistry. Being an adventuress, left Russia for the U.S. in 1978 with my teenage son, $2 in my pocket, and high aspirations. In 1989, my son and I started this business by making a bet for $100 that I could create a formulation for hair removal wax. I won! The formulation worked and the business started. Tears and smiles, sometimes hysterical laughs, good days and even better days, 20 years later with the nail polish and treatments, we found ourselves on the map of cosmetics. Hallelujah.
Faini Ritz, owner of Duri Cosmetics
Vicki Peters, President of Vicki Peters Inc.
Born in Boston — got snowed in one too many times —packed up and went to L.A. Got rid of accent (I sounded like Kennedy!) and went to nail school in 1982.
Nail competitions, trade shows, NAILS Magazine shows, The Peters Perspective, Nailpro, Las Vegas, Kupa, books, articles, covers, mentoring, Vicki Peters Inc.
Dog rescue, NASCAR — life is simple, really. There is dog poop on my new desert landscape rocks. I never really put my suitcase away. I live a “drama-free” life!
Vicki Peters, president of Vicki Peters Inc.