Awesome Sandy! I am really glad to hear that the pre-book contest is working and increasing your pre-books salon-wide. Pre-booking your client is not only great customer service, but it also guarantees your business during the slower months of January and February. Great work! I look forward to hearing about the final numbers.
I got all of my holiday cards done and all of my treat bags ready to go for my clients. I started to hand them out last week as I walk my client to the front desk to check out. They have enjoyed my holiday card and treat bags. I, too, like Sandy, am working hard on pre-booking into 2012. If you focus on pre-booking right now, you will have financial wealth in the new year. So, start implementing pre-booking now, it's never too late!
There are two things we can always count on in January: 1) The credit card bill comes from the holidays; and 2) Salon business usually slows down after the holiday rush. So, get pre-booking it will help pay off your holiday credit card purchases.
There are two great ways right now to help your business in the new year. The first thing is gift certificate sales! We sell more gift certificates right now than any other time of year. So, how can we be more aware of gift certificate sales and help the salon's business in 2012? Here are a few tips to make you feel more comfortable offering gift certificates to your clients.
• Ask ALL of your clients, “How is your holiday shopping coming along?” It's basic conversation for this time of year. You shouldn't feel uncomfortable asking this question — around the holidays everybody does.
• Get a feel for who they are shopping for. Ask, “Do you buy presents for everyone in your family or does your family draw names?”
• Ask, “Have you made all of your purchases for everyone on your list?”
• Make a mental list of who they have to shop for as they are talking about the people they have left to buy presents for.
• Listen for clues like, “I still don't know what to buy for...” or “I never know what size to buy...”
• Sift through your mental file cabinet of client facts — like the fact you know your client’s sister, aunt, and best friend live near the salon.
• Mention to your client, “Did you know we sell gift certificates? They're available for a specific service or any dollar amount?”
• Mention who they could get a certificate for from the list they just recited to you.
• Respond with something like, “You mentioned that your never know what to get your Aunt Peggy? How about a gift certificate for a pedicure? (This is where your mental file cabinet of client facts comes into play.) Earlier this year, you mentioned your Aunt Peggy had back surgery. I bet it is difficult for her to bend over and tend to her toes by herself. I'm sure she would love a pedicure! She could get a relaxing pedicure and not worry about how she's going to clip her own toe nails.”
• “How about your sister Barbie? Why not get her a gift certificate for a manicure or pedicure and bring her in with you? I'll take care of you both at the same time or book you both back to back. You're always talking about how you wish you had more girl time with her.
• How about the gift of time with your daughter? Wouldn't she love mother/daughter time for just the two of you? Bring her in and get manicures together — she would love it!”
• Remind them not to forget about teacher and babysitter gifts, etc.
• Let your clients know about the gift certificates you have available. Many salons offer specials around the holidays, so make sure your clients know about them. Maybe your salon has a free gift with gift certificate purchase or special pricing on spa packages or services. Don't assume they have read the signs & banners posted throughout the salon. Tell them about the gift certificates you offer — they take your suggestions to heart.
Please post what you are doing and saying to help your salon with gift certificates sales — we'd love to hear from you!
Next week, we'll talk about how to move those holiday retail items. Offering gift certificates — helping our clients to complete their holiday shopping, creating gift certificate sales, and keeping our salon busy. One more way to help you stand out above the rest and become the BEST!