Rossana Chousal-Fune, a national trainer for LCN, has worked in the nail industry since 1993. She’s always had a natural ability for art, influenced by her mother, a cosmetologist in Chousal-Fune’s home country, Chile. The gel embellishment she created stems from a personal fascination with butterflies. “I see a lot of magic in butterflies,” she says. “There are so many different types that when I start designing them, no matter what combinations of colors, shapes, and wings I choose, they’re beautiful. The possibilities are endless.”
1. Using an LCN 3-D brush or the LCN Spot Swirl, apply LCN 3-D Design Colour Gel in Deep Black lightly without pressure onto form paper. (Tip: To clean up and define the edges of the design, use the same brush and LCN cleaner.) Remove excess gel on the brush with an LCN Purzellin swab.
2. After tracing the design, cure the gel using a UV or LED light unit for the manufacturer’s recommended time. Due to the product’s specific consistency, the solution will not run. Continue by applying LCN Glass Gel in Turquoise Ocean and Lilac Passion inside the wings of the butterfly and cure again.
3. Once the wings are cured, create the head and body of the butterfly with Colour Gel in Night Blue. Add LCN rhinestones to the edges of the wings. Cure to set the entire design in place.
4. Fold the butterfly wings toward each other slightly to give the embellishment a more realistic look. Cure again.
5. Remove the design from the form and add antennae and proboscis using LCN Amazing Lashes. Add touches of LCN Miracle Glitter for more intricate effects. Cure the design. (Tip: Gently attach LCN Amazing Lashes using tweezers.)
6. Use LCN Nail Art Liner in black to create more realistic effects by painting vein details. Add more rhinestones to the outside of the wings as well as LCN Starlit Sky Colour Gel (big glitter stars). Cure.*
*LCN suggests attaching the butterfly to a stiletto manicure created with LCN Glass Gel. To attach, use LCN One Component Resin in Crystal Clear and attach the butterfly to the stiletto nail. Hold the butterfly in place while curing.