Read our annual industry study, with information on market size, number of nail technicians, service prices, compensation survey, demographics, and top service trends.
2013-2014 Industry Statistics Highlights:
Money spent on salon services grows 12%
Vietnamese salons represent more than half the U.S. nail industry
Gel-polish growth continues unabated
Social media increasingly important for salons
YoutTube use for business up 151%
94% of nail techs use smartphones
You can purchase the entire 2013-2014 Big Book at our online store for just $40. If you would like only the statistics section, that is available immediate download through our store at $20 by clicking on the thumbnail to the left.
Because this data is valuable and useful to many factions in the nail industry, we also make the data available in other formats, such a State of the Industry PowerPoint presentation fullly designed by modifiable by you with your own branding. We also have Trending Reports, where we take particular statistical segments, such as the number of nail salon and nail techncians in the U.S., and do comparisons with previous years. That information is avilable, also on our store in an easy-to-play with Excel format.
2012-2013 Industry Statistics Highlights:
Record-breaking Growth: $7.47 Billion In nail services
Booth rental rates decline slightly
Gel-polish continues its service dominance
Celebrities & nail art — biggest Influences on the industry
32% Of salons add a New service in 2012
Nail techs embrace online tools, social media
[CLICK the thumbnail at left to download the entire 2012-2013 Nail Industry Statistics section.]
2011-2012 Industry Statistics Highlights:
- Get a light! Everyone's doing gels
- Service income now $7.3 billion
- Service prices up in every category
- 74% of nail techs use a smartphone
2010-2011 Industry Statistics Highlights:
Salon service volume increases 3.5%
34% of nail salons added services this year... and 66% of those added gels
Salons using Facebook grow from 4% to 50%
66% of nail techs don't receive any incentive on retail sales
Top 5 nail salon and service trends are instant money makers
Download full Statistics section for the 2010-2011 Big Book (PDF), flip through our digital edition below, or buy the entire issue, which includes the full "The Great Nail Tech Challenge," at our store.
2009-2010 Industry Statistics Highlights:
- Overall industry size, number of nail salons and nail techs flat
- 95% of nail techs say “environmental consciousness” is important to them
- Number of nail salons with websites increases by 46%
- Facebook marketing grows by 300%
- Top 5 nail salon and service trends are instant money makers
2008-2009 Industry Statistics Highlights:
- Salon service prices up 17%
- Internet use grows among Vietnamese salons
- High-profit foot care leads service trends
- 70% of nail techs care about green salon issues
Download full Statistics section for the 2008-2009 Big Book (PDF), flip through our digital edition below, or buy the entire issue at our store, which includes the full "NAILS Service Cookbook," which includes 70 specialty service recipes in a step-by-step format.
2007-2008 Industry Statistics Highlights:
- The key to improving business? Go upscale!
- Overall business drdops, but prices hold steady
- 30% of salons add new services; colored acrylics and gels the favorites
- Feet lead! New pedicure services and enhanced toenails most popular
Download full Statistics section for the 2007-2008 Big Book (PDF), flip through our digital edition below, or buy the entire issue, which includes the full "Salon Start-up Guide," at our store.
2006-2007 Industry Statistics Highlights:
- Overall market down 3%, but outlook still optimistic
- New service trends provide unlimited potential
- Vietnamese salons now outnumber all others
- Business increased for half of all nail salons
- Gel nails are the most frequently added new service
Download full Statistics section for the 2006-2007 Big Book (PDF), flip through our digital edition here, or buy the entire issue, which includes the full "NAILS Encyclopedia," which includes marketer-sponsored entries, at our store.
2005 Industry Statistics Highlights:
- Salon service volume down 6%
- Nail tech earnings up 14%
- Client attitudes revealed: They like you!
- Pedicure services still expanding
- All-new demographic and industry data
Flip through our digital edition below, or buy the entire issue, which includes the full "Salon Start-up Guide," at our store.