If your business growth has been stagnant in recent years, a fresh new look may be just the thing you need to bring in new clients and even bring back some old ones. So how do you know it’s time to freshen things up?
1. You’ve had the same pedicure chair or manicure table for more than five years. Considering that the average lifespan for equipment is four to six years, it’s important to evaluate your equipment after a few years of use.
2. Your salon furniture is showing signs of wear and tear. If your leather chairs are becoming too soft or even wrinkled from overuse, it’s time to upgrade. Ditto if the color of your textiles has faded by two shades or has rips and tears.
3. Your equipment looks like it belongs to a different decade. Trends are always changing and thanks to social platforms like Instagram and Pinterest, it couldn’t be easier to keep up with what’s in style. If your salon looks like it belongs in the ’90s (think: wallpaper, prices displayed on letter boards, and bright wall colors), then it’s time to renovate.
4. You are constantly buying parts to fix to your equipment. Just like a car, there comes a time when it’s more cost-efficient to upgrade your equipment than to constantly fix it.
5. Your equipment doesn’t match. Each piece of furniture or salon equipment will have its own unique lifespan, so you end up replacing items at different times. The result is a hodgepodge of equipment — some old, some new, some with different models or colors. Renovating all at once will create a cohesive look.
A salon remodel may sound like a daunting task, but in the end the rewards can outweigh the costs. A remodel provides an opportunity to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Is there anything missing from your salon? Is it time to rebrand or reinvent the salon with a new atmosphere or expanded services? What changes or additions would pique the interest of your local community and revitalize your staff?
Once your renovation is complete, plan a soft grand opening to create excitement and buzz. The revamped salon is sure to spark interest among a new crowd of visitors, creating a prime opportunity to expand your client list.
— Natalie Vosberg is content strategist at Standish Salon Goods
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.