Joey Chen is an award-winning nail artist and international educator for Christrio in Malaysia. She has demonstrated her nail skills internationally in countries including the United States, Italy, and England, and has been a judge at numerous nail competitions.
Joey’s Nail Novel is her first book and includes 40 designs (including some from her colleagues at The Colour Box International Nail Academy), all with English step-by-steps, in media encompassing gel painting, advanced acrylic, handpainted designs, inlays, mixed media, 3-D gel and acrylics, layering and more. Here’s an excerpt, a step-by-step dubbed “Black Tear.”
1. Apply a form to the nail, then apply pink acrylic to extend the nail bed.
2. Apply black glitter acrylic vertically on half of the free edge.
3. Apply blue glitter acrylic vertically on the remaining half of the free edge. Remove the form.
4. Apply clear acrylic onto the entire nail.
5. File the nail.
6. Clean the nail surface with wiping solution.
7. Apply clear gel. Flash cure in a UV light.
8. Draw curved lines with black gel, as shown.
9. Flash cure in a UV light.
10. Draw curved lines with white gel, as shown. Flash cure in a UV light.
11. Apply UV gel top coat. Fully cure in a UV light.
You Might Also Like:
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.