OPI partnered with top manicurist Miss Pop to create a glitter ombre look for Rodarte’s new limited-edition capsule collection, which debuted in Los Angeles with a colorful ’80s roller rink theme. The event featured models on roller skates and a special performance by Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles. The collection featured artwork by Mari Eastman — a mix of watercolor moths and kittens.
“The glitter ombre look for the Rodarte show was inspired by the disco lights at the roller-skating rink, the way they sparkle across the floor,” explains Miss Pop. “With the lights dim, the splash of light and color sets the mood — it’s time to strut, speed, shimmy, and showboat. So, OPI brought that attitude to the nails — nothing says ‘go for it!’ quite like glitter.”
Get the Look:
The OPI nail team mixed shades of custom glitter with OPI’s classic top coat for high shine. OPI’s natural nail base coat was the prep for all nails.
• Lima Tell You About This Color
• I Just Can't Cope-acabana
• Gelato On My Mind
• Can't Find My Czechbook
• Do You Lilac It
• Polly Want a Lacquer?
• Two Timing the Zones
How to get the Rodarte glitter ombre:
1. Apply a coat of OPI Natural Nail Base Coat.
2. Paint two coats of your preferred OPI Pastel like Gelato On My Mind or Polly Want A Lacquer?
3. Take out your custom glitter OPI Top Coat and give it a good shake to get the glitter flakes going. Then, wipe one side of your brush on the bottle neck to remove extra top coat. This should leave the side of the brush facing you with a bunch of glitter on the tip and a little top coat.
4. Starting at the very bottom of the nail, dab that glitter down by the U of your cuticle. Stack it so the glitter is completely covering the rim of your nail.
5. Dunk the brush back in the glitter polish and stroke and dab up towards the free edge to fade the glitter. You should stoke up to about 3/4th of you nail. Tip: The bottom quarter of your nail should be completely covered in glitter. The second quarter should have some glitter. The third quarter should have sparse glitter. The quarter by your free edge should have no glitter.
6. Seal your Rodarte Roller Rink Glitter Mani with O.P.I. Top Coat for even more shine and long wear.
How to create your custom glitter OPI top coat:
1. You can start with a gently used bottle of OPI Top Coat, or you can pour 20% of a new bottle of top coat out onto a paper towel (until the middle of the letters OPI).
2. Cut a strip of plain computer printer paper or similar into a rectangle about 3" x 5".
3. Roll the paper rectangle at an angel until it forms a cone. Be sure the small opening of the cone is able to fit in the neck of your top coat bottle. Keep the shape of the cone with a piece of tape.
4. Place the cone into the opening of your OPI Top Coat. Pour the cosmetic glitter of your choice into the cone, all the way up to the bottom of the bottle neck. Backstage at Rodarte, we used a glitter size .015.
5. Shake it up! And voila, you have custom-blended the sparkliest top Coat ever.
“It is such a a pleasure to be collaborating with the gorgeous rainbow of OPI and the visionary sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte,” adds Miss Pop. “Rodarte is known for their romantic and magical collections. This season their take on streetwear is transporting us in a time machine to the fun and fabulous scene of the roller discos of the ’80s.”
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.